Monday, December 5, 2011

Saving On Maternity Clothes

I'm going to apologize up front. My posts have been very scarce and now all I'm writing about is pregnancy. I'm sorry for that. It's just that I've got to write things down as they are on my mind. Although this topic is more audience-specific, perhaps someone will benefit from the tips I've learned during the many months I've now spent with a large belly.

Early in both of my pregnancies I hit the clearance racks at Kohl's and Motherhood Maternity to score some great deals. Much of what is clearanced is out of season, but will be the very thing you need when you grow rounder. While you may not want to pick up a tailored dress, do look for some of the basics that you will need. You can't exactly predict how you will grow, but there are many maternity clothes that are pretty standard.

Another method I learned was layering. I'm soon going to have my second winter baby, so I've been the largest during winter months. I don't really get cold because of the incubator I've become, so I like to be able to remove clothing if necessary. I have many sleeveless tops that I wear with cardigans and such to add variety to my wardrobe. Some of those cardigans are styled in a way that they work even though they didn't come from the maternity section. I also scored deep discounts on those sleeveless tops when the weather turned cold.

The final tips I have for you are regarding undergarments. You may notice your bra beginning to get smaller as you expand. If your cup size is still somewhat the same but the band is tighter, head to Walmart for extenders (usually found in a three-pack in the intimates area). When it comes time to actually buy another bra, consider going ahead and getting a nursing one. This is especially helpful if you want to try breastfeeding.

More than likely, you will also eventually need new panties. Not only to accommodate your belly, but your widening pelvis. Maybe I'm the only one who has experienced it, but my underwear started feeling uncomfortable in the legs before the belly. Rather than buy maternity underwear, I just headed to Walmart (again) and bought a larger size in the hipster style. This way, I didn't have to worry about the waistband becoming too small.

As you shop for new clothing, pace yourself. Also, don't refuse a friend's offer to share her clothes. And if you have the chance, shop a consignment sale where there is almost always a maternity section. While you may miss some of your favorite fashions, allow yourself to shine with that pregnancy glow! That way no one will notice that you've been wearing the same five outfits over and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment