Saturday, June 18, 2011

Make It Yourself: Baby Food


Now this may sound absurd to you, but for many years I thought the only option for baby food was the Gerber jars you buy at the grocery store. Then as my friends started having babies, I heard talk of making your own baby food. That sounded too hippie for me, as well as too domestic and time-consuming. Then I had a baby of my own and my thinking radically changed about what I was putting into that precious little body. I also started pricing those miniscule jars of food. It looked like the price of gold listed on the shelves.

The turning point for me to actually consider making my own baby food was in talking to a friend who was currently making her own. She assured me it was very, very easy. Easy as in pick out a veggie, bake or boil it, then grind it up. I did some searching online for a few pointers and found a site that was just what I needed: Wholesome Baby Food. There you'll find an abundance of information about vegetables to use and how to cook them.

I want you to know that making baby food really is easy and takes very little time. It saves a great deal of money as well. Even with that, the most rewarding part for me was knowing I was giving my little one nutritious, yummy food.

(Don't have a baby, but maybe a picky child or husband? You can use baby food in recipes to "hide" fruits and veggies so they get the nutrients they need. You can find lots of recipes online.)

No comments:

Post a Comment