Thursday, May 5, 2011

What? Diaper Genie Refills Cost How Much?

I was fortunate to be gifted a Diaper Genie and several refills by a great friend. Unfortunately, the refills ran out within the first couple of months after having Alayna. The convenience of the Diaper Genie is great, but the expense is as stinky as the diapers you put in it. Last time I checked, the refills were about $6 each. The only generic type I ever found was at Walmart, and they were $5. Not much better, in my opinion.

So I set out to find another option. I knew there had to be something out there. That's when I found a YouTube video showing how to use basic kitchen trash bags! This was over a year ago, so I couldn't find the video. But I did find several others showing basically the same thing if you want to do a search. Essentially, you fluff out a trash bag, jam it into the place where you put the diapers, then wrap the top around the empty refill cartridge. The plastic ring from the refill is what helps hold the trash bag in place when you are feeding yucky diapers through. Here are several pictures showing how I do it:

Bag is fluffed and stuffed into the Genie.

Top of bag is wrapped around ring to secure it.

All ready to use!

Just so you know, you can also buy diaper pails that are made to use trash bags. That might be something to consider if you don't yet have a stinky little one.

Happy pails to you!

MATH UPDATE: I realize I didn't give any hard and fast numbers to show trash bags are a cheaper option for the Diaper Genie. The refill doesn't have a bag count, but rather one continuous bag you cut and knot when the pail is full. I can roughly say, though, that one refill at $6 lasted around 3 weeks (this was with smaller diapers, mind you). A box of 28-count Hefty trash bags retails for $7 at Walmart (not on sale and with no coupon). Even using 2 bags a week, this box will last well over 3 months. I recenlty stocked up on 45-count boxes of Hefty trash bags for $2. I don't think I need to do the math for you to know that is a great deal!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley-
    It's Lauren Horton from our days back at BGEA. Your daughter is so cute! I'm glad to see motherhood is treating you so well. I love your tips...I am going to try the vinegar for my kitchen floors and the trash bags for our Diaper Genie. I hate spending the $7.99 on a DG refill pack that gets used so quickly!
    I blog too but don't have these great tips like yours! threehortons.wordpress.com
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lauren! Ashleigh told me about your blog once and I've read it here and there. I've enjoyed reading about your adventures with Jones. So much of what you write is exactly what we have experienced- just one day later. Not really, but you know what I mean. :) It's great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete