Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Quest for Finger Foods

If you have a tot who is forging the road to independence, you know what I mean about finding new and inexpensive finger foods. In my searching, I began to wonder if Gerber has a monopoly on snacks for babies and toddlers. No, you just have to do a little wandering in the grocery store to find other options. I'll give you a quick list of what I've found as a replacement for those expensive treats.

  • cereal bars- fig newtons work just as well and are considerably less expensive per serving (check out Aldi for a great price)
  • cheese puffs- Walmart sells items made by Sensible Portions (like Veggie Straws) in which the ingredient lists are short and readable; compared to the Gerber prices, even the all-natural Cheetos cheese puffs are a better deal
  • yogurt- Dannon's 32 oz natural yogurt can be portioned into individual servings; the vanilla flavor is great for combining fruits and vegetables (the sweet potatoes and yogurt combo is packaged by Stoneyfield in their YoBaby line)
  • applesauce- many store brands have the natural variety of applesauce in larger jars; as with the yogurt, portion into individual servings
  • baby puffs- all I have for this is buy generic--I'm not sure I could get away with anything else
I will admit that I sometimes buy the Gerber snacks when I have a coupon and when they are on sale. (Go here for coupons.) I also buy individual packs of yogurt and applesauce when they are a great deal. Such things are much more convenient for traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment